Thursday 23 October 2014

"Kia Ora"

 ...or 'hello' or 'welcome' in Maori - a standard greeting you will hear all over New Zealand, partnered with a beaming smile! I can honestly say that Kiwis are possibly the nicest people you will ever meet - a definite plus when you are facing a 3500km campervan adventure around New Zealand!

Where did we go?


Left: Week one route, Right: Weeks two and three     

 A 3500km something journey probably seems a bit daunting if you've never tried this kind of holiday before - which we never had! But when you're sat planning your route on google maps throwing in the odd glow worm cave here and a glacier there, the two and a bit hour estimate that google maps spits out for a 200km journey seems like a breeze - except in a campervan you need to double this at least. Not only are you on a restricted speed limit (80km/hour) but the chances of reaching this speed on somewhere other than the highway out of Auckland are rather scarce. With road closures, bad weather and getting stuck behind a tractor on a single lane "motorway' you need to be realistic with your time goals.

In retrospect, trying to cram in all of New Zealand in three weeks was a bit very optimistic. Don't get me wrong, it was fantastic on so many levels, it gave me a great taste for New Zealand - sampling the very things that I have been yearning for...whale watching, dolphin swimming, Hobbiton, clean fresh air [somewhat scarce in Bangkok/London/Shanghai - the last three places that I have lived] which only deepended my desire to explore more of this breath taking country. 

To put thing into perspective - we met a guy on the ferry over from Wellington to Picton, who was from Hawkes Bay in the North Island. He had been 'holidaying' on South Island for as long as he could remember, yet this time he was taking TWO MONTHS just to spend in the south of the South Island, as there was still so much to see. And after spending a bit of time down in The Catlins (though unfortunately not making it over to Doubtful/Milford Sounds) I know exactly what he means! 

Although I could sit here for hours reminiscing about all the places I would have loved to have visited as well, I cannot help but be thankful that I've been able to witness as much of this paradise as I have already - and I'm only 23 - still many countries and places left to scratch off my map yet!

Let's get started.



No comments:

Post a Comment